LBA 61st ANNUAL CONVENTION
The Louisiana Beekeepers Association (LBA) will have their 61st Annual Convention at the Country Inn & Suites, Pineville, LA - August 25-26, 2023. The event will begin Friday morning at 9 a.m. and conclude Saturday at 3 p.m.
- Dr. James Ellis from the University of Florida will be our keynote speaker for the Convention as he addresses what is killing the honey bee, identifying and remedying queen events, and yearly management. Special presenters James and Chari Elam from Texas, The Bee Supply, will also be sharing information on hive management and Bee-ology. The awesome Timmie Melancon will be our amazing moderator. We have several interesting demonstrations lined up: making seed bombs with native seeds for pollinator plants and the benefits of using essential oils in the hive. You can choose between beginner or intermediate topics/speakers, buzzing between meeting rooms as you like.
- Over 20 vendors with the latest technology, equipment, and wonderful bee-related items will be present. (Plan on conducting your Christmas shopping for all of your friends and family!)
- Contests for honey-baked goods, honey judging, and decorated brood boxes are planned for this year.
- Honey-baked goods must contain honey as the principal sweetening ingredient. (2023 Honey Baked Goods Competition.pdf.) Please provide the recipe on a 8.5 x 11" sheet of paper. Submit entries by 10:00 a.m. on Friday, August 25, to be judged Friday afternoon. Winners will be announced during the banquet and again during the Annual General Membership Meeting on Saturday morning.
- Black jar honey contest is open to ALL attendees with all entries submitted by 10:00 a.m. on Friday. 2023 Black Jar Honey Contest Rules.pdf This year we will be selecting the best tasting honey from the five Louisiana regions, narrowing down the entries to the top 5 honeys and then selecting an overall state winner. Winners will be announced Saturday at 2:45 p.m. at the conclusion of the Convention.
- Decorated brood box contest. Click here to download the 2023 Brood Box Art Competition Form.pdf. Boxes must be submitted by 10:00 on Friday. All boxes will be auctioned during Friday night's banquet.
- Silent and live auctions will be held - consider donating an item to either auction.
- A special buffet banquet will be held in conjunction with the live auction on Friday night, August 25. Banquet tickets are $25 each. Special guest, Commissioner of Agriculture, Dr. Mike Strain, will be our banquet speaker.
Printable Convention Agenda (Subject to Change)
Registration for the Annual Convention is only $75 for an LBA member and $100 for non-LBA members. There are also options to include the banquet ($25/ticket) with your registration: $100 for LBA member registration with banquet; $125 for non-LBA member registration with banquet. Guest registration options are available for both LBA members ($60) and non-members ($85). Children under 18 are FREE, but please complete registration for all attending to help us with our records. College students receive a registration price of $25/ticket with proof of Student ID. A one-day pass to the Convention for either Friday or Saturday will cost $50.
For any additional information or questions email email@example.com or Stacy Blomquist.
If you wish to provide support or participate in the LBA Convention as a sponsor or vendor, please visit this separate registration link to become a supporter.
Membership to the LBA is $20 and provides many benefits, including discounts on registration fees for conventions and field days. Please sign up to become a member today and save money on registration fees!
Book your hotel room BEFORE AUGUST 11 using the LBA hotel rate code: Beekeepers. Use this code when calling the hotel at 318-641-8332. *NOTE: If you have an issue with the hotel, please email Stacy Blomquist.
Country Inn & Suites Website
$109.00* Double Room (2 people, 2 beds)
$129.00* Suite (1 bedroom)
*All rates include breakfast buffet.
Situated off US highways 165 and 167, the Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Pineville, LA offers guests easy access to Alexandria International Airport (AEX), just 20 minutes away, as well as the Pineville Convention Center adjacent to our hotel. When your meetings have finished, you can learn more about local history at destinations like Kent Plantation House and Forts Randolph & Buhlow State Historic Site, both less than 15 minutes away. If you’re traveling with the family, take the kids to see the animals at Alexandria Zoo or Gone Wild Safari. You can also visit loved ones at Camp Beauregard and Louisiana Christian University in less than 10 minutes.
After a full day in Pineville, unwind with a relaxing soak in our hot tub or a swim in our outdoor pool, open year-round. If workouts are part of your daily routine, you can stay on track at our on-site fitness center, and then reward yourself with an indulgent free, hot breakfast featuring our signature waffles. Need to print presentation notes before walking over to the Pineville Convention Center? Stop by our convenient business center.
Shop, golf, or find other fun things to do in Alexandria
Thanks to our location off US Highway 165, booking a room or suite at the Country Inn & Suites, Pineville, LA makes it easy to reach downtown Alexandria and popular area attractions like Kent Plantation House and Alexandria Zoo. You can visit a family member stationed at Camp Beauregard, situated less than 10 minutes away, or brush up on your Civil War knowledge at Forts Randolph & Buhlow State Historic Site, less than three miles away. When you’re ready to unwind, enjoy a relaxing stroll on the hiking trails at Kisatchie National Forest or test your poker face at Jena Choctaw Pines Casino. Looking for things to do between meetings? Schedule a tee time with your colleagues on the greens at OakWing Golf Club.
Country Inn Standard Room
Country Inn Suite